Sunday, January 20, 2008

How to NOT White Knuckle it

So this isn't the first time I've been determined to get to a healthy weight. It's not even the 10th time or the 20th time. This has been a lifelong struggle for me. So what makes me so certain this time? I'm determined to not 'white knuckle' it. I need to make lifestyle changes that I can live with and still continue to get my body into a healthy 'zone'. I'm laying off my dependency on the scale and while I'll still be weighing in, I'm trying to focus more on how I feel.

This week I've felt pretty good. We had planned to go out with some friends for dessert on Thursday several weeks ago, so we decided to go regardless of diet. I tried to convince the chubby hubby to share so we'd eat half as much, but he's an all or nothing guy. He'd rather have no oreos or 12 oreos- not just 2. I ordered what looked good, and I enjoyed it- but I didn't guilt myself into eating the whole thing because, 'I'd paid good money for it.' I ate until it stopped tasting delicious and until I was satisfied. I still only ate about half. I was pretty proud of myself for that.

We're still doing no carb/sugar for the next week- but after that we're only doing max of one carb a day- and only whole grain. Although I'm thinking maybe only one carb every other day. I see serious results when I cut that out. I know that grains are important, but it seems like so many are so refined that they've lost their nutritional value.

Sugar is another big problem for me. I make cookies and have probably 5 cookies worth of dough while making them, and then eat 8 or 9 while they're cooling. It's like I can't stop. So my plan is to just not have it around the house, not never ever have sugar- but only for special occasions and when we go out- which isn't often.

3 comments:

suchsimplepleasures said...

dieting sucks and it's always a struggle!! been there, know that!!! i go up and down...way too much to admit. i have this book called the abs diet...my sister and her hubby did it, they swear by it. she's looking mighty scrawny, too!!! it's a lifestyle change. but, this diet, it allows you to eat everything...pretty much. within reason, of course. i haven't tried it yet but, it's sitting in my kitchen, summoning me!!!
anyway...just wanted to say hello! welcome to cr8buzz

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Good job resisting the sweets! Not so sure about the carbs issue. I find I get too hungry if I don't have a few servings of whole grains every day. They even speculate that fiber can have a negative caloric effect, as it helps everything else along, so to speak. You just have to be sure that your water intake is high enough, is all.

I suggest reading You: On a Diet to get some good insights into how our body processes food, etc...it's fascinating and I learned so much from it.

Good luck!

Tara R. said...

Good luck with your endeavor... I know how hard it is and I am cheering for you.